What’s this ?
It corresponds to the more or less important tearing of muscle fibers followed by hemorrhage at the site of the lesion. It is a very common accident among athletes.
What are the causes ?
- Too violent and too rapid a contracture;
- A shock on a contracted muscle.
What are the contributing factors?
- Bad or even no heating;
- Excessive training;
- Irregular training;
- Taking anabolics or corticosteroids;
- Insufficient hydration;
- Poor hygienic-dietetic condition.
Which muscles are most affected?
- The calf muscles;
- The thigh muscles.
What are the clinical signs of a muscle tear in the calves?
A muscle tear never goes unnoticed. It manifests itself by:
- Immediate, localized, violent pain (feeling of stabbing);
- A fall (possible but infrequent);
- An immediate stop of the current activity;
- Painful support;
- A painful, if not impossible, walk.
What you should not do
- The pursuit of activity at all costs;
- The massage.
What to do urgently in case of a muscle tear
- Stop sports activity;
- See a doctor urgently for better care.
How to avoid a muscle tear?
- A healthy lifestyle;
- A balanced diet ;
- Appropriate hydration (1.5 liters on average per day, this quantity increases according to the intensity of physical activity, hydrate before, during, and after sporting activity);
- A serious warm-up;
- Progressive training.
Avoid taking hot baths immediately after any physical activity