What is functional colopathy?
Functional coagulopathy or irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic bowel disease. It is frequent and is defined by the coexistence of:
- Chronic abdominal pain ;
- Transit disorders (constipation, diarrhea, alternation of the two).
It is a disease which significantly and chronically alters the quality of life of patients who suffer from it because of absenteeism, the multiplicity of additional examinations and the difficulty of care.
The diagnosis of functional colopathy requires the certainty of the absence of lesion of the colon beforehand, this due to the very high prevalence of colorectal cancer
What are the causes and triggers of functional colopathy?
The mechanism of occurrence of functional colopathy is not well understood, but its signs (symptoms) can be triggered or promoted by:
- Lack of physical activity;
- Stress situation;
- Tired ;
- Unbalanced or too filling meal;
- Certain foods (chocolate, milk, soft drinks and certain fruits and vegetables);
- Trip ;
- Severe intestinal infection.
Conversely during the rest or vacation period the signs tend to decrease.
What are the signs of functional colopathy?
Signs of colopathy can vary widely from person to person and often resemble other illnesses. The most common signs are:
- Abdominal bloating;
- Pain in the stomach of the type “spasms” or cramps;
- Transit disorder: diarrhea or constipation, sometimes alternation of the two;
- Mucus in the stool;
- Sometimes we can have:
- Digestive signs: heartburn, epigastric heaviness, premature satiety;
- Extra-digestive symptoms: headache, myalgia, asthenia, hot flashes, pollakiuria….
What are the consequences of functional colopathy?
Functional colopathy is not a serious disease in itself, but it can significantly change the quality of life of those who suffer from it. Its chronic, unpredictable and painful nature can be morally exhausting.
What are the solutions in the event of functional colopathy?
It is advisable to consult a doctor who will specify the diagnosis and prescribe an appropriate treatment.
It is a disease whose diagnosis is simple and which can be cured with a short treatment and a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some useful tips in case of functional colopathy
- Eat meals at regular times, calmly and chew food well;
- Consume enough foods rich in dietary fiber (wholemeal bread, fruits, vegetables, etc.);
- Drink enough water but in a fractional way (1.5 liters per day);
- Regularly engage in physical activity (at least 30 min of walking per day);
- Avoid certain foods (if you notice that they are the cause of the aggravation of the symptoms) such as soft drinks, dairy products, chocolate, coffee…;
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol;
- Avoid stressful situations;